Welcome to the Year 7 section of the website
In Year 7 we focus on the transition from primary school and getting students settled into the routine of secondary school life. We guide them to develop their organisational skills in order to move from classroom to classroom on their two-week timetable. We encourage independence helping students to manage their homework and individual equipment ensuring everything is available when required.
We have an incredible Tutor team consisting of a head of year and 6 form tutors. Each form is assigned a house and students earn merits throughout the year which contribute to the house competition.
Every morning at Derby Cathedral Starts with a collective worship with their form tutor. Different activities are carried out throughout the week.
|Monday||Head of Year Collective Worship||Celebration of achievement and key messages|
|Tuesday||Picture News||Class discussion on a recent news topic|
|Wednesday||Cathedral Collective Worship||Exploring key areas of FAITH|
|Thursday||Merits and Planner Review||Checking student progress, rewards and home communication|
|Friday||Collective Reading||Group reading task and discussions|
At Derby Cathedral School we expect all students to follow out FAITH values.
All of our school rules are based around the FAITH values. We believe in developing a well-rounded individual who can succeed in life when leaving our school and the FAITH values help to support this development.
Throughout the year we carry out different activities as a year group. Examples from this year are:
- All the Fun of the Fair introduction activity where students created their own fair ground for the form competing for merits for their house.
- Reverse advent calendar where students created and filled an advent calendar with items which we donated to the Derby City Mission.
- Harvest festival where all items are donated to the Padley centre.
- Extra Curricular activities such as:
- Art Club
- Spanish Spelling Bee
- Horrible Histories
- Sports clubs
- Year 7 have also had the opportunity to apply for the Voices in Action Youth Council which is run by Derby City Council
We aim to make everyone’s time at Derby Cathedral School an enjoyable learning experience and strive to provide students with the support they need to flourish in their time at secondary school.