Update 12 May 2020
I look forward to seeing all the entries and ideas for challenges.
Update May 2020
Welcome from the Headteacher
I send you all a warm welcome from all of us at Derby Cathedral School. We’re so excited that you will be joining us in September.
Our aim is to make sure that every student has every opportunity to be the best they can be. This applies to both their studies and their
character development. We also place our values of FAITH at the core of everything we do and look forward to seeing all students deepen these personal characteristics. These are fully explained in a later section. We hope that over the coming few months, you enjoy the variety of transition information and activities that we have planned for you and we look forward to being able to welcome you in school as soon as we are able.
We wish you all good health and are delighted that you are now part ofthe Derby Cathedral School community.
Mrs J. Brown
A Welcome From Mr Hoy
I am Mr Hoy, Assistant Headteacher I oversee behaviour attendance and transition here at DCS I know times are very strange at the moment but please rest assured that we feel privileged that you have chosen us for your child’s secondary education We are very busy preparing for the new Year 7 cohort even whilst not in school We have already made excellent staff appointments for the
coming year and we are continuing to recruit passionate teachers and support staff. We want your child’s transition to secondary school to be as smooth as possible. Mr Marshall (Head of Year 7) and I are currently liaising with all primary schools to gather as much information as possible. We have sent all parents/ carers a transition pack with lots of information and some documents to return in the stamped addresses envelope provided If you could return this as soon as safely possible to do so, please do If you haven’t received this, please email email@example.com as soon as possible. If you have any queries or questions, please use this email address and you will
receive a prompt reply. Please take care of each other at this difficult time. Very best wishes from me.
A Message From Mr Marshall
Due to the current situation around Covid 19, the transition events mentioned in the packs we previously sent out may not take place.
This includes the parental information evenings. If this is the case we will provide you with the same information but just in a different format. For now, we would ask that you return the forms in the stamped addressed envelope we sent and if you have any questions, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. We will aim to send our regular updates which will always be posted on our website. Please check this, and our Twitter and Facebook feeds on a weekly basis. We are also planning on providing some different, interactive activities
for our students each week.
Our supplier is Uniform Direct www.uniformdirect.com/acatalog/Derby Cathedral School.html
Currently the Babington Lane shop is closed however you can order all items online for home delivery. If you are worried about ordering the
wrong size, please call Uniform Direct before placing an order however returns can be made as normal.
• A Derby Cathedral School navy blue blazer embroidered with the school badge Available from Uniform Direct, our uniform suppliers.
• A white shirt / blouse with a top button fastening suitable for a tie. Please ensure the item can be appropriately tucked in. These can be purchased from any appropriate retailer.
• A Derby Cathedral School clip on tie, available from Uniform Direct, our current suppliers.
• A plain navy blue V necked jumper (without logos) this is optional during colder weather. This can be purchased from any acceptable retailer.
• A charcoal grey (not black) pair of trousers or skirt. These must be of a professional cut skinny fit / leggings/ footless tights and such like are not permitted. The skirt must reach the top of the knee . These can be purchased from any appropriate retailer and are also available from our uniform supplier.
• Black / navy blue socks or navy blue tights (the same shade as the blazer). These can be purchased from any appropriate retailer.
• Black shoes boots and trainers are not permitted. During inclement weather boots can be worn for the journey to and from school, but normal footwear is to be worn during the school day. Shoes can be purchased from any appropriate retailer. Footwear items should not bear branded logos / names or have high heels.
• Hijabs (if worn) are to be navy blue and of a shade matching the school blazer.
• An embroidered Derby Cathedral School short sleeved PE top, available from our supplier Uniform Direct
• Navy blue shorts or skirts without logo (unless DCS). These can be purchased from any appropriate retailer or from our supplier.
• Navy leggings with school logo only. Available to purchase from the PE staff for this optional PE kit in September.
• Navy blue jogging / tracksuit bottoms, without logos, are optional for outside sports. These can be purchased from any appropriate retailer.
• These should be an appropriate size for a range of school books to be carried in it and preferably dark in colour.
• Pupils are allowed to use a transparent reusable drinks bottle. The only drink permitted to be carried is water.
• Haircuts must be appropriate to school; long hair must be tied back / up during practical lessons such as Science / PE and Technology
• Haircuts should not be shaved or include patterns and “non natural” coloured hair is not permitted e.g. red, pink, blue, purple etc.
• Jewellery is not permitted other than one small pair of stud earrings
• A wristwatch is permitted but no smart watches
• All students will be expected to wear a warm, waterproof coat during colder weather, removing it when inside the building.
• Denim jackets and camouflage items are not to be worn, neither are heavily branded / logoed items.
• Hoodies are not permitted in school
• Make up should not be worn
• No nail extensions, false nails or nail polish
Equipment for school:
Inorder to get the best from learning, you need to have the right ‘tools for the job’. Be organised and checkthat you have the following items:
• Student Planner (distributed to all pupils in September)
A pencil case containing:
• Three ink pens in blue, black and purple
• Some pencil crayons (not felt tip pens)
• A pencil
• A pencil sharpener
• An eraser
• A 30cm ruler
• PE kit (on timetabled days)
• Locker key or padlock with combination lock (you will be advised which one you need on your first day)
SEND Queries and concerns
If you have any queries or concerns regarding your child’s Special Educational Needs and/or Disability, please contact us on email@example.com for the attention of Mr Chapple, the school’s SENDCo. Mr Chapple is currently liaising with primary schools to ensure a positive transition from Year 6 to Year 7.
Keeping up to date
• Check the website regularly www.derbycathedralschool.org.uk
• Follow us on Twitter @ DerbyCathSchool
• Like and follow us on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/DerbyCathedralSchool
•Download SZApp from the App or Google Play Store. This is where you can access our school newsletters both past and present, see the
calendar, contact us and more.
Building Updates and Pictures
We are delighted to share news of progress on site at the Former Friar Gate Goods Yard. W ork is very much underway as huge amounts of steel are being delivered on a daily basis. Works on the foundations for the school are up and running and the playing
fields are being levelled and laid.
The construction team are working within the current restrictions set out by the Government to prevent the spread of COVID 19. Clearly , whilst progress is being made, the current restrictions may delay some elements of the build. We are being kept up to date by the Department for Education on progress.
We would love to have involved our staff and students more closely as the site works get underway, but this is not possible for obvious reasons.
Meanwhile, back at Midland House, work has started on preparing additional space ready for our new intake of Year 7 pupils in September. Work is underway on testing electrical systems, heating and ventilation systems with more substantial works due to begin in the
next two weeks. Our ICT partner has visited the site on a number of occasions and is preparing to install additional equipment ready for September.
To keep up-to-date with the new site progress and to see pictures of the building, click here.
Our FAITH Values
Over the summer holidays we are inviting our new Year 7 students to design a logo for our FAITH values that we will can use on displays in and around the school. All entries will receive a house point and the top 3 entries will receive multiple house points. This is the first opportunity to receive points for your house, so make sure you enter! We would like students to produce a colourful logo that reflects our school and our values. Entries can be drawn/ coloured /sketched by hand or on a computer but must be submitted to your Form Tutor no later than morning tutor time on Friday 11th September 2020.
• Wednesday 2 nd and Thursday 3 rd September: Staff INSET days. Pupils do not attend.
• Friday 4th September 2020: Induction Day for all new Year 7 students starting at 8:45am. Further information to follow.
• Half Term: Monday 26th October Friday 30th October inclusive
• Friday 18th December : End of Autumn Term